Join our creative community and engage with inspirational brands
Job ID 794561
As Garment Technologist you will be responsible for ensuring all development and production samples conform to the standard required for fit, make, raw materials, quality and sizing working closely with the designer and development/production team. The role requires expertise and confidence in women’s day to occasion dresses, soft separates, jumpsuits, tailoring and the odd outerwear piece. Depth of experience working with premium, contemporary or luxury womenswear is essential.
- Create, maintain, update and complete technical packs.
- Maintain and agree standard measurements and record and measure against spec for all styles encompassing day to evening dresses, soft separates and tailoring.
- Ensure measurements are consistent across the supplier base as it expands.
- Undertake regular competitor research to ensure fit and sizing is competitive.
- Define and maintain grading and sizing rules for each garment type.
- Ensure all technical specs are clear and any measurement requests are consistent with the standard measurements.
- Measure all samples to ensure they conform to the size specifications.
- Flag any variance in sizes prior to fit meetings and ensure factory is informed where appropriate.
- Plan and organise fit meetings including booking models, sending diary invites etc.
- Attend and run all collection sample and pre-production fittings to ensure samples conform to the Designer’s vision and are of the correct quality.
- Record all fit comments and relay to the factories ensuring amendments are accurately reflected in future samples or production.
- Support the factory in China to solve specific make or construction queries.
- Maintain consistency in sewing rules and make standards and ensure factories understand the standards required to produce for the brand.
- Request, monitor and chase all samples.
- Ensure all garments are sealed ahead of the factories starting production.
- Request, inspect and assess pre-production, top of production and shipment samples. Flag any issues that could impact delivery with the Product Development & Production Manager.
- Alongside the Product Development & Production Manager, manage any quality issues and faulty garments to ensure delays are kept to a minimum.
- Report on quality, faults and production each season detailing each factory performance against target.
- Assess any consumer and wholesale returns and ensure any recurring issues are addressed.
- Garment Technologist with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in women’s dresses, soft separates and tailoring from day to occasion wear.
- Premium, contemporary and/or luxury womenswear experience essential.
- Ability to fit to Gold Seal standard.
- Skilled in tech pack creation using Excel.
- Excellent fabric knowledge across woven and jersey from delicate to structured fabric bases including technical components and sewing techniques.
- Confident in fitting garments and sending comments for amendments.
- Good working knowledge of pattern cutting an advantage.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with Design, Development, Production and UK and European factories.
- Proactive and passionate with the ability to work effectively in a fast-pace environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proactive approach with strong organisational skills.
- Experience analysing problems and offering solutions.
- Proficient in Microsoft office.